If you are using Mail.app with with MS Exchange, you know the frustration of sending attachments and opening those dreaded winmail.dat files (the sender sent a MS Exchange email file as an attachment). Grr.
To get around dealing with Microsoft’s refusal to comply with email standards, I recommend two mail.app plug-ins:
Lokiware’s Attachment Tamer and Christopher Atlan’s Letter Opener Pro. Both programs will end the your MS Exchange email attachment problems. Here’s what they do:
Attachment Tamer (from the Lokiware product description):
- Display (and print) images, PDFs, audio and video as icons with an optional file size limit and exceptions;
- Send messages compatible with Microsoft Outlook, Exchange and other software, preventing the superfluous “ATT0001” attachments;
- Send images as regular attachments, making it easier for the recipient to manipulate the image files;
- Send images embedded in HTML layout and safely mix embedded images with other attachments;
- Display full attachment names regardless of length instead of truncated names;
- Automatically display attachments at the top of messages;
- Prevent unwanted image resizing or set a default size for automatic image resizing.
Letter Opener Pro:
- Allows Browser addachment of a winmail.dat file
- Adds the capability to add appointments contained in winmail.dat files directly to iCal
- Adds the capability to create contacts contained in winmail.dat files directly in Address Book
- Adds the capability to display those dreaded nested messages
- Allows you to convert attached winmail.dat Outlook Notes to plain text
- And reads and delivers MS Exchange receipts (for those nutbags that subscribe to Level 3 Leadership)
Powered by ScribeFire.
- The Best Email Client for Mac OS X [App Directory] (lifehacker.com)
- Sparrow – Improvement from Mail.app? (lostincolonisation.wordpress.com)
- OS X Lion First Look: Mail (informationweek.com)