Tag Archives: Business

Pie Chart Illustrating Pareto's Principle

Pareto’s Principle and that Sucking Sound in your Organization

No matter how many mistakes you make or how sl...

No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you’re still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying. -Tony Robbins (Photo credit: deeplifequotes)

Think about this statement: 80% of the people that need your help don’t know they need your help.

Here is another statement: 80% of the people that need to read this blog post will never search for it.

Another: 80% of the people that actually find this post and read it won’t actually believe it. :-/

And another cookie: 80% of the people that don’t know they your help and will never search for this blog post, aren’t even online, don’t search online, don’t subscribe to Internet feeds, read Internet news or otherwise engage in anything online.

Finally, this 80% of 80% (64%) uses 80% of all resources of your organization and only produce 20% of the results.

Not surprisingly, Tony Robbins points out that 80% of businesses go out of business in the first three to five years. Of the the remaining 20%, another 80% will go out of business in the first five to seven years in business. The primary reason is product to market fit… planning and development. That 64% sucking up all those resources at work has a name. It’s name is Mediocrity and it is killing your company.

I’m going to follow this up with a post about where this phenomenon comes from (mostly not the 64%), how to curb and kill mediocrity, and how you can’t kill mediocrity but only contain and minimize its effect.

I’d love to know what aspects are important to the 20% of 20% (The 0.04%) that will read this post. What are your thoughts?

SOURCES:

 

Enhanced by Zemanta

Key Skills for Leaders of Transformations

Here is my list of Key Skills for Managers and Leaders that I’ve been cataloging for a couple years now.

Content Skills Core Skills
Direct Skills
  • Transdisciplinarity
  • New-Media Literacy
  • Computational Thinking
  • Visioning
Explicit Skills
  • Three Horizons Thinking
  • Building Community
  • Story Crafting
  • Mentoring
  • Virtual Collaboration
  • Social Intelligence
  • Design Thinking
Process Skills
  • Lean Product Development
  • Change Management Skills
  • Limiting Initiative WIP
Simple Tacit
Skills
  • Lean Thinking
  • Differentiate Between Agile Adoption &
    Agile Transformation
  • Divergent Thinking over Convergent Thinking
  • Principle Focus over Practice Focus Over
    Process Focus
  • Awareness
  • Action Inquiry
  • Stewardship
Domain Skills
  • Organic Innovation vs. Disruptive Innovation
Complex Tacit
Skills

Starting another blog for Business Management advice

taverna logo
Image via Wikipedia

I decided to start another blog for capturing all the management consultant observations and wisdom that comes to me throughout my life under that sun. My initial hope was rather self-serving: create a place to dump my brain that connects all the places on the web where I draw upon as a person body of knowledge (PBOK). As I work on the content more and more (as yet unpublished), I realize that inadvertently I may put a toe-hold on fulfilling my goal finding the people I want to mentor and those who would mentor me: in short, leaving a living legacy.

“A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way.” — John C. Maxwell

Enhanced by Zemanta